Youth Go Green Initiative Awards 2011
Theme: Saving the World, Saving our Future
A variety of environmental problems now affect our entire world from the issue of waste to water pollution and global warming. Few societies are being left untouched by major environmental problems. These environmental problems have causes, numerous effects and most importantly, a solution.
We believe that youth are the solution as they have the power to make a difference and change the world with their bright ideas. We believe that Young People are the voices of the future. They have a special talent for invention and development and need to be engaged in new forms of action and activism that will generate effective responses to our environmental challanges.
- To encourage youth or student organizations to promote environmental awareness e.g. effects of climate change and global warming and positive community development
- To inculcate in the students the importance of protecting the environment for a sustainable future
- To motivate and stimulate the interest of students in taking action to save the environment and the future
- To encourage students to develop innovative green solutions for their schools, homes and communities
The types of initiatives we are interested in recognising are:
- Water conservation
- Energy efficiency
- Improved waste management and recycling
- Enhancing local indigenous biodiversity
- Pollution prevention
- Anything beyond our imagination!
Step 1: Review the Eligibility Requirements
- Must be from an established educational institution or youth association or student body
- All projects should have a measurable environmental or social impact and, ideally, will have demonstrated significant progress by the application deadline.
- Project is supervised by a school teacher/instructor/ association leader.
Step 2: Complete the application form
- Project must be summarized on the pages provided in the application form (no more than 300 words). A more detailed description of the project addressing the evaluation criteria should be included separately on 3- 5 pages of an A4 sized pages and bound together with attached materials. Typed, double spaced applications are recommended. All materials should be sent in two (2) sets with one softcopy.
- Project must be described based on the above criteria. These criteria will be used by the panel of judges to evaluate the application.
- Applicants are encouraged to submit photographs, newspaper articles, and other supporting materials to provide a more comprehensive view of the project.
*Note: Shortlisted applicants will be required to provide a 2 minute video montage on the profile of the project.
- The application form together with the summary and any attachments are to be submitted to:
Asia Inc Forum
Unit 6 Spg 150 Regent Square
Kg Kiulap BE1518
Attention: Nanette Ramos
The deadline for submitting applications is on 20th May 2011 at 4:30 pm.
The Award Category
The Award is open to both government schools and private schools at all levels.
Outstanding Green Initiative/ Environmental Project Award
An environmental project that was initiated, created, implemented by students or student bodies that are innovative, creative and original which demonstrates significant value and impact.
All projects should have a measurable environmental or social impact and, ideally, will have demonstrated significant progress by the application deadline.
Projects will be judged based on the following:
- Environmental Vision:
The project has incorporated an environmental solution to the chosen environmental problem or issue.
The project uses innovative initiatives/ solutions/ approaches to the environmental problem or issue that reduce the impact on the environment.
- Impact/Measurable results:
How the project benefits the environment and/or community in terms of measurable results (e.g. wildlife habitat protected or restored, amount of money saved, amount of household waste reduced through recycling, re-use or reduction programs)
The influence that the project asserts to the community (such as the development of a movement or raising awareness).
The project shows on—going commitment to sustainability.
Awards for the Winning Entries
Certificate for all entries, visit by the Judging Panel for short-listed entries and plaques for the winning entries. In addition, a suitable field trip will be won the ultimate winner(s) (for example, a trip to Kuala Belalong, Temburong for up to 6 students and teachers – age dependent)
The award ceremony will take place on the 8th June 2011 at the closing session of the National Environment Conference.
This award is organised by Asia Inc Forum in conjunction with the National Environment Conference in partnership with Alcoa, Butra Heidelberg Cement, Total and HSBC and in collaboration with the Science, Technology & Environment Partnership (STEP) Centre, Ministry of Education.
For further information about the awards contact:
Nanette Ramos, Asia Inc Forum
Fatin Arifin, Asia Inc Forum
STEP Centre, Ministry of Education